The Development Services Department serves the City, businesses and residents by enforcing city codes and ordinances related to planning, zoning, building, construction, land use, site development, signage, business licensing and building permitting.
This ensures that all development meets rigorous mechanical, engineering, architectural and applicable code construction standards, is compatible with the surrounding area supporting infrastructure, meets all applicable environmental requirements and that such work is performed by qualified and licensed contractors.
The Development Services Department is comprised of 4 Divisions which provide customer services in the following areas:
- Reviews all building construction plans and permit applications
- Issues all permits for construction, redevelopment and building improvement projects and schedules site inspections.
Planning & Zoning Division
- Provides assistance with interpretation and compliance with the Land Development Code and Comprehensive Master Plan related to land use regulations, zoning codes, and site and building new construction and redevelopment.
- Provides support to the City's Planning Board and Board of Adjustment which meets on a regular basis.
Code Enforcement Division
- Investigates property maintenance issues and administers the Civil Citation and Code Enforcement Programs to monitor and ensure that properties comply with all applicable City Codes.
Business Tax Receipt/Licensing Division
- Administers the business licensing and regulation of certain commercial and home occupations and professions.
- Oversees the issuance and administration for all new business and home occupational tax receipt licenses and annual renewals.
Development Review Committee (DRC)
In addition to the above, the Development Review Committee is facilitated by the Development Services Department and it is comprised of City and outside agency staff who are responsible for the review of all site development plans submitted for land and project developments.